Favorite Quotes:

"Be the change you want to see in the world."



"You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result"

- Mahatma Gandhi

Sunday, October 5, 2008

CFL Savings?

One of the biggest and easiest trends in greening your home is to replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs. Trying to be green I replaced at least 35 bulbs in my house with CFLs. They are said to use 2/3 less energy. They are more expensive upfront but are supposed to last 10 times longer (5 years) ....hmmmmm I have had quite a few go out within a few weeks, so in actuality with so many replacements it is costing me more. I do like the fact that they put off less heat 70% as a matter of fact (I especially love it here in Texas where it is so hot). I don't like the fact that contain toxic mercury and should be recycled. Please don't just throw thhem out. You can find a location to recycle CFLs (and fluorescent lights in general) using Earth 911’s recycling locator. There are also take back options by manufacturers and retailers like IKEA. It takes a bigger effort but it is worth it.

No comments: