Favorite Quotes:

"Be the change you want to see in the world."



"You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result"

- Mahatma Gandhi

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

No More Wire Hangers

OMG! I recently cleaned out my closet and I have so many wire hangers. The thought of just throwing them out just bothers me. Did you 3.5 billion hangers ending up in our landfills every year. I read somewhere that not only are wire hangers recyclable, but they're made of steel (North America's Number One Recycled Material), they also contain a minimum of 28 percent recycled content. There should be a wire hanger recycling bin somewhere, but there is no such thing that I know of. They can be taken to a scrap metal dealer.

I have heard that some dry cleaners take back wire hangers and reuse them or recycle them. You can check with your local dry cleaners. Many are no longer taking them.

I think it would be a great community or school project to have a wire hanger drive. Any proceeds can be donated to a charity or to the PTA.

I did find a The Wire Hanger Exchange where you can give your hangers to someone who wants to use them.

...

No comments: